In our industry, we get asked from time to time if our essential oils are 'therapeutic' grade. Well, here is information on this very topic!
There is no official definition of "therapeutic grade" essential oil. The term is often used by essential oil companies to market their products as being of high quality and suitable for therapeutic use. However, there is no independent organization that certifies essential oils as therapeutic grade.
No government agency regulates essential oils or uses a grading system. Terms such as “certified pure therapeutic grade” is a statement that has been trademarked by a multi-level marketing company used to give one the idea that it has been approved by a higher authority, thereby making their oils superior in the market.
One could state that there are various grades of aroma oils:
- Synthetic, or Fragrance, Oils: Created in a laboratory. Used in products such as soap, candles, perfumes
- Food Grade Essential Oils: May contain synthetics, pesticides, fertilizers, or carrier oils
- Therapeutic Grade or Pure Essential Oils: Made from organically grown plants and distilled multiple times
Essential oils can vary widely in quality. It can be difficult to assess the quality of essential oils because they come from all over the world. However, you can evaluate oils based on factors like where they are grown. Wild Herb imports pure essential oils direct from distillers, going to locations where the plant, tree, etc. is indigenous to.
It is important to note that essential oils can be powerful and should be used with caution. It is always best to consult with a qualified professional before using essential oils for therapeutic purposes.
Here are some tips for using essential oils safely:
- Always dilute essential oils with a carrier oil before applying them to your skin.
- Do not ingest essential oils without the supervision of a licensed healthcare professional.
- Keep essential oils out of reach of children and pets.
- Stop using essential oils if you experience any adverse reactions.
Watch our blog posts. We'll be listing more recipes soon using essential oils. Our pure essential oils are excellent for using in your homemade house cleaners. Plus, making your own cleaning products is much more cost efficient and healthier for your family and pets.