A wide variety of many wild herbs have been used by humans for centuries for both food and medicinal purposes. Some of the most common uses of wild herb include:
- Food: Wild herbs can be eaten raw, cooked, or dried and used in a variety of dishes. Some common edible wild herbs include rosemary, oregano, thyme, and marjoram. Wild herbs can also be used to infuse in oils such as extra virgin olive oil. If you are up for the challenge, you can even try distilling your own essential oil.
- Personal Health: Wild herbs have been used to treat a wide range of medical conditions for centuries, including coughs, colds, digestive problems, skin conditions, and pain. Some common medicinal wild herbs include lavender, chamomile, and yarrow.
Here are some specific examples of the uses of a wild herb:
- Rosemary: Rosemary sprigs can be dried then tied together and used as a basting brush. The dried sprigs can also be used in pickling. Once dried, crush the rosemary and make tea or sprinkle on food for seasoning. Rosemary has many health benefits that include boosting immune system and fighting viral and bacterial infections.
- Thyme: Try dried thyme in your favorite drink as a garnish. Dry and sprinkle on steamed vegetables for flavor. For a sore throat, thyme can be used in tea. If the taste of thyme is not your favorite, try using peppermint along with the thyme.
- Lavender: Most common for its relaxation purposes. Excellent for use in making tea. Infuse in a carrier oil such as grapeseed oil to apply topically to irritated skin from dryness, eczema, psoriasis and bug bites.
- Oregano: Oregano is a common wild herb that so many uses and huge benefits. When consumed, it is a rich source of minerals. It can help keep the immune system in check, as well as preserving gut health and claims to prevent cancer have been made in many research studies.
- Chamomile: Chamomile is a wild herb that is known for its calming and relaxing properties. It is often used to treat anxiety and insomnia.
It is important to note that any wild herb can be dangerous if not identified and used correctly. It is always best to consult with a qualified herbalist or licensed practitioner before using wild herbs for medicinal purposes.
Wild Herb, Your Healthy Choice for Natural Living, sells high grade herbal essential oils which are obtained direct from certified organic distillers worldwide. We have linked the above herbs to the listing in our store/website. Click on each herb to go to the listing.
Watch for more informative and educational blog posts from Wild Herb Soap Co.